nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has just eaten a dead tropical fish from my aquarium. I

My dog has just eaten a dead tropical fish from my aquarium.
I have an established tank by have lost a lot of fish n the past week to something that could be Ich or possibly even Septecemia. The fish wasn't medicated as I was treating with increased temperature as I have scaleless catfish that won't tolerate meds.
She seems ok but I'm not sure if I should rush her to the vet to see if they can induce vomiting
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Provided the fish wasn't a toxic species and since you didn't use any drugs to treat it, we' d not be overly worried nor need to induce vomiting here. We could see some stomach upset but even that isn't likely since our dogs often eat small wildlife (even bacterial ridden ones or carcasses) with little harm. Therefore, in this case, we'd just want to monitor for GI upset and treat it accordingly. To do so, you can start by putting her on a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac) or Milk of Magnesia (0.5 tsp every 8 hours). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Overall, even if this fish was unwell or septic, it presents very little risk for your lass. Her stomach should digest it without issue. Therefore, as long as it wasn't a toxic fish, we'd just want to monitor and use the above as needed for any GI upset. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a gourami. I'm pretty sure they're OK. Thanks so much
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Gouramis are not a toxic and therefore there is no risk with those.
All the best,
Dr. B