Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My dog recently went outside and he ran into the corner of

Customer Question

My dog recently went outside and he ran into the corner of our shed, I quickly bought him back inside after hearing him yelp, I quickly told my dad about his eye after I saw it bleeding. After checking if there was anything in his eye (there wasn't) and putting some cold water onto his eye to help soothe it, his eye is very swollen and red, he keeps blinking rapidly even though we've made sure nothing is in it and he can't look at bright lights. His eye is half closed and my dad said that he is fine, but I'm extremely concerned and continue panicking. He's a White German Shepherd and 6 Years old. His name is***** leave it to see if it heals or do I tell my dad to take him to a vet? I'm extremely concerned.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Marley. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. It sounds like he may have scratched his cornea, the clear surface of the eye. That can be very painful, and make bright light unbearable. Often the pupil of that eye is smaller than the pupil of the normal eye. When did this happen? Sometimes these heal in 24 hours, but sometimes they become infected and it helps to have eye drops to get it to heal. These drops are by prescription so you would have to take Marley to a veterinarian to get them. Anytime there is an eye injury, it is best to have it checked, and his blinking and aversion to bright light has me concerned. I think it would be best to take him to a vet. Let me know how he is doing and what other questions you have.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the great rating! Let me know how he is doing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems after putting some cool water on his eye, it's stopped the swelling a little. Because of your answer we've decided to give it 24 hours as if it just a minor scratch we have some eye-drops to put on his eye. In any case if we do find that it has worsened by tomorrow morning we are going to consider taking him to the vet. Thank you for the advice. :)
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. I hope he feels better soon. Do let me know how he is doing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be sure to update you on how he is doing :) Thank you very much :)
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome!