How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pet Doc Your Own Question
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 7578
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Pet Doc is online now

My dog ate (I have no idea how much) chocolate yesterday. He

Customer Question

My dog ate (I have no idea how much) chocolate yesterday. He is a 10lb Bichon. I just found out my Granddaughter had a bag of chocolate Easter eggs and he ate some. Today he threw up and doesn't want to play. He's just laying around. What can I do for him today? Someone said give him peroxide. Please help! I'm in a wheelchair and can't take him anywhere.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, Sorry to hear Griffey managed to get in to some chocolate. Would this have been milk chocolate? Did he definitely eat these yesterday? Have you noticed him drinking or urinating more, or does he seem restless to you? I will wait to hear from you.Kind Regards, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was milk chocolate. She is 3 and said he didn't but my daughter caught him in the act. So at least 1 of the small Easter eggs. He doesn't want to play and he's not eating and drinking. Just laying around and we know how full of energy a year old bichon has.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. I am typing up a response now and will have something to you in 5 minutes or so.Dr E
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. It definitely sounds like he has had some chocolate, but I guess we will never know how much! Thankfully it was milk chocolate which is no where near as dangerous or toxic as dark chocolate, but again, that all depends on quantity. Because he ingested these yesterday, there is no point in using the peroxide to induce vomiting. Likewise - he has already had his fair share of vomiting from what you have said! Inducing vomiting is only useful within a 1 hour window of ingestion. So - the key for today will be monitoring your boy closely and checking for signs he is worsening. Generally if there is severe chocolate toxicity the symptoms of restlessness, tremors and even seizures start within a few hours. It sounds like it has been quite a number of hours since your boy potentially ate this chocolate and with no sign of restlessness, this indicates only a mild toxicity with gastrointestinal signs. So, for now, you can with hold his food until later on this evening, but make sure he has plenty of water available and encourage him to drink. Hopefully he is happy to drink and is able to keep water down. For now, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: During the day today, if you can please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.Hopefully these parameters remain ok throughout the day, and hopefully he is able to keep water down. If he is still refusing water in half an hour, perhaps make him up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids and feed him the luke-warm broth. Hopefully that entices him! That and some pepcid should hopefully settle him for the day, but if he isn't improving, definitely get some assistance to get him to your local ER vet. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.