Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

I am concerned dog she is a one year old chocolate

Hi I am concerned for my dog she is a one year old chocolate labrador and seems rather under the weather this evening. We have been at the in laws where she managed to steal the cat food from its bowl then at home left for a minute she stole an Easter egg although the box was in a mess the egg itself although crushed seems intact we think we caught it in time. Now she is pacing lays for a minute or two then gets up and moves around and repeat, she is occasionally whimpering and seems to be breathing slightly heavier than normal. I am a worrier and I am not sure whether I should be concerned?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also she feels quite cold to touch, also to add we had a big walk yesterday which involved Roxi having a dive in a lake so not sure whether her tummy is hurting or if she has picked up a chill I just don't know what to do for her. Whilst writing this she has actually laid down for the last few minutes
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 10 months ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I'll be happy to help you and Roxi today. So I can get a better idea of Roxi's condition I have a few questions. Is Roxi able to get up and walk around normally without wobbling? When you look at her gums, are they nice and moist and pink, or are they pale or bluish? When you push on them, does the color return in 2 seconds or less? Does her abdomen look tense or bloated?
From what you have said so far, it does sound like her tummy is bothering her. She may just have a simple gastroenteritis, but she could also have an emergency situation called bloat of the stomach. If this is the case, then she needs to be seen by your vet right away. This is what I am trying to determine for you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Her tummy doesn't feel overly tense or bloated and her gums seem a pinky brown in colour although her mouth seems quite tacky she won't let me push test her gums ­čś× She doesn't seem wobbly at all
Thanks for your response! Is she willing to eat anything or take some water? Has there been any vomiting?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No vomiting just sleepy she seems to have settled in the last hour, she last had a drink about an hour and a half ago but we haven't offered food since her dinner at 7pm which she ate normally
Very good news to hear that she is willing to drink water and that it didn't cause vomiting, and that she ate her dinner normally! Also, the fact that she has settled down makes bloat much less likely. What time is it there for you now. I'm in California.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's 22:31 I am starting to wonder whether she was extremely tired from our long walk yesterday and then a play date at my in laws I'm wondering if she was exhausted would this make her restless?
Being exhausted wouldn't make her restless, but all of the excitement she has had in the last day could.
Good to know the time. . .she ate a good dinner about 3 1/2 hours ago. . .correct?Is she still resting comfortably?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes that's correct it was around 3.5hrs ago she seems to be more settled then she was
It does sound like she is responding pretty normally to her fun weekend. Would you bring some water to her and a little treat? I'd like to see what she does with these.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She has eaten a biscuit and had some water now she has gone back to laying down
Thank you. . .thank you to her. I feel confident that she just got overly tired, but also perhaps hyped up because of all of the excitement.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for putting my mind at rest we are off to bed hopefully she will be back to normal tomorrow
Dogs with bloat don't eat and drink!I'll bet by tomorrow morning she will be herself completely, or even possibly still a little tired. She should be eating and drinking normally though.You are very welcome. I hope you both have a peaceful night's sleep!Dr. Barbara
How's Roxi doing this morning?
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 9 months ago.
Hopefully everything is fine with Roxi by now. Do you have any further questions or comments for me? I'd love to hear how she is.If we are finished, I'd greatly appreciate your rating as this is the only way I get credit for out chat.Thank you, ***** ***** a good night,Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.