Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I'm trying to stop my dog from chewing his way through the

Customer Question

I'm trying to stop my dog from chewing his way through the front door and I have tried various anti-chew sprays that do not stop him. I was going to try a very hot chilli and worried I might make him sick
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.This sounds quite serious. Unfortunately, I am afraid a spray is probably not going to deter him, as you have discovered, when he is in the mode of excessive chewing. As well, hot chili does not deter dogs for more than a moment. Not worth the mess. IF there is one specific area (like the door) that you do not want him chewing his way through then the one thing I have had be effective for this is to use an electric fence. This can be set up inside the house. I have some clients who have used this as a deterrent for storming the door, and others who use it to keep the dog out of the cat litter box.Aside from this is if the behavior happens when you are not at home, you may need to crate Max to keep him from destroying things. And discuss use of anti anxiety medication with your veterinarian. Or have a consultation with a veterinarian who is a behavior specialist to come up with a comprehensive plan to stop this behavior and get to the root of the problem.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.