Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has lumbosacral stenosis and takes Gabapentin 200mg

My dog has lumbosacral stenosis and takes Gabapentin 200mg twice daily which has been reduced from three daily two weeks ago. Over the last 24 hours she has been very unsettled and pacing a lot. Happened last night for the first time then she seemed fine this morning and then over the last hour she has started again - it seems like she can't get comfortable when she lies down - could this be due to decreasing her meds?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I can do to help settle her?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!Yes, unfortunately the tapering of the gabapentin can have this effect on Molly. I too have a dog with LS disease that I have difficulties managing with her comfort, changing positions and moving from place to place when uncomfortable. I will give you some more guidelines to try with Molly below but until you can discuss with your veterinarian please increase back again to the every hours or three times daily to see if we can get her comfortable. If your vet also dispensed an NSAID such as rimadyl (carprofen) then I would supplement that as well to try to get her to be able to rest readily... - Tramadol- this is in the opioid class so it is given as needed for pain when there are bad days. It can be given longterm to senior pets two to three times daily if needed- Alternative medicine: laser or light therapy, acupuncture, physical therapy, massage therapy. All are fantastic ways to help minimize pain, increase strength, and allow rest more comfortably. If there is a physical therapy facility in your area they would have all of these. Typically I will start with acupuncture and/ or laser therapy and then add in the physical therapy once we are more comfortable to build strength. I often see remarkable results with one to two sessions- Adequan injections. These are pricey but given twice weekly subcutaneously (I have owners give the medication at home after a demonstration to minimize the visits) for four weeks then taper frequency as improvement is seen and if there are bad periods then increase frequency once again- Supplements: Glucosamine sulfate 1500 mg daily, fish oil with 1500 mg EPA & DHA daily, Vitamin E, Ester C are all great to slow progression of disease and assist in comfort- Depending on your pet's size, a help em up harness that is used to support standing and moving to minimize injury to your back but also prevent further injury to you pet. http://helpemup.com If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I would be hesitant to use an over the counter medication but to increase the gabapentin for now. It should help within an hour of administration but if you have any other pain medication such as the tramadol or carprofen that would be ideal to supplement the gabapentin
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlierPlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 30 minutes before taking a break for a bit...If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the advice I gave her another dose of gabapentin an hour ago she is still extremely unsettled though. Maybe I'm just overreacting but she's just not herself and I hate seeing her like this.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I do understand, can you try a few other things that are safe and can help get her comfortable:- rotate warm and cool compresses on her lower back in 10 minute intervals- massage of the area soft circular massage at first and then deepening the massage with each pass- if necessary repeat another 100 mg gabapentin - I am not sure if you will have this available but benadryl (diphenhydramine) 1 mg/ pound or 0.45 mg/ kg every 6-8 hours. It will not help with pain but can help her settle more readily
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll see how she goes. She seems to settle for about 10 mins and then gets up quite suddenly and that's when the pacing starts. I do still have some tramadol that she was previously on would that help and can she have that alongside gabapentin, I also have some onsior which she was previously on.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I would consider the tramadol at the previous dose every 8 hours. If there is any vomiting, retching, or abdominal swelling +/- changes to the gum color to pale, purple, dark red then please consider a veterinary er
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. I understand it must be difficult when you can't examine her
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. I will be back later this afternoon (in the states) if you need further assistanceIf the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!