Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog has a round pink bald patch on the thigh

my dog has a round pink bald patch on the thigh
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for Buttons. I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind: 1. How long has this lesion been present?2. Has he been licking at it? Do you think he created it?3. Do you think you could send me a picture of it? This link walks you through the process: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 STARTED GOOD FRIDAY
2 YES HE DOES LICK IT ,I DONT THINK HE CREATED IT.
3I AM NOT VERY GOOD ON IT SKILLS SO UNABLE TO SEND YOU PHOTO.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the answers to my questions. And, no worries about not being able to send a picture. I might have been helpful but it's not essential. It sounds as if Buttons may have what's known as a hot spot or moist dermatitis. It's also possible that he injured his skin in some other way and is now making the lesion worse by licking at it.Regardless, I do have a few suggestions in addition to what you've been doing which may be of help: 1. First, I'd trim away as much hair as possible around the edges to expose any additional affected skin. You may be surprised how extensive an area is involved once you start trimming.If you have mustache clippers, they'd be perfect for this job or they can be purchased at most dollar stores or even box stores such as WalMart.Just take care since this area could be quite painful for him; I wouldn't want you to become injured if this is the case.2. Then, I'd gently clean the area twice a day with dilute over the counterBetadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea).If you have something with Chlorohexiderm in it such as Hebiclens, that would also be acceptable.Salted water can sometimes further irritate open skin wounds so I might avoid its use. I'd also avoid hydrogen peroxide since it has been shown to retard healing.3. I'd then apply the antibacterial powder which you have.4. I'll sometimes apply a very small amount of over the counter cortisone ointment or cream if the skin is really irritated although if it's pusy or looks infected, then I wouldn't use it.5. A perfect product for this sort of skin issue would be Vetericyn spray which may be available at local pet or grain stores. I know it can be purchased online but this won't help you now unless it's shipped overnight.6. If he's not currently taking any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory or steroid drugs, then he could be given Aspirin at a dose of 10 mg per pound of body weight, with food to avoid stomach upset. This may help to reduce inflammation.7. He may need to wear a cone to prevent access to the area and thus further damage from licking....at least until it looks as if the area is healing which should be within just a few days.Some patients will require systemic antibiotics if the skin is infected but I'm assuming your vet will be able to assess the need for them if he's going to be seen. I hope this helps. Deb