Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have just had my 9 year old great dane put to sleep as ,

i have just had my 9 year old great dane put to sleep as , she went off her food and became ill in matter of days , i took emergency vet , who took an exray and a scan , and blood test , the scan showed and enlarged spleen , they said they could operate but , the blood test showed problem with bone marrow, had a heart murmer which i new she did , plus low white blood cells and enimic , she couldnt eat so went very weak , was drinking lots of water, other danes iv had have gone off back legs so all this was a shock to me as she last week was running around like a pup , i want to know if i did the right thing for her
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am so sorry to hear about your Dane. I know from first hand experience that when it happens so suddenly, and you are not expecting it, it can be very difficult to deal with. Correct me if I am wrong, but they had confirmed a tumor in her spleen, correct? If you have an enlarged spleen and potential bone marrow issues, a cancer such as hemangiosarcoma or lymphoma are very likely. Neither carry a good prognosis either. She may have been anemic due to bone marrow issues, but a splenic tumor can often rupture and bleed. A dog can go a long time with a splenic tumor and not show any signs. When it starts bleeding, they tend to go downhill very, very quickly. It sounds like you did the right thing for her. It sounded like her prognosis even with surgery would have been very poor. Again, I am sorry for you loss. My condolences go out to you and your family. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.