nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Labrador ate some seaweed on the beach yesterday and after

My Labrador ate some seaweed on the beach yesterday and after he ate his evening meal he vomited all his good back up. This morning he vomited up clear yellow fluid and some bits of tough seaweed stalk and a small plastic bag. He is now not drinking and has only eaten grass. Should I wait a bit longer and see if he vomited or starts drinking or does he need to see a vet straight away?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today.Do you think he brought up all he ate?
Does he have any belly discomfort if you press on his abdomen?
Are his gums pink or pale/ white?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don' t think he has brought up all the seaweed. His gums look pink. Not sure about the discomfort as he is usually very uncomplaining. He usually rolls over for a belly/chest rub when you touch his tummy but not today.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Now we do need with care here. If he isnt showing his belly as normal, then I suspect it is sore despite his being stoic. As well, his current signs support persistent nausea but if there is any more mon- edible material in his stomach, we would be worried about blockages.Therefore, we have two options. We can have him seen now to make sure there is nothing still in the stomach and have his vet settle his nausea wity injectable treatment.
Otherwise, we could try an OTC antacid (ie Zantac @ a dose of 2mg per kilogram of his weight every 12 hours) just now. If he settles, we can try to get him drinking and start a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken) for a few days. Though if doesn't, he refuses, or cannot even keep that down, that would be our sign again for having a check for at least that injectable treatment.
Overall, we have two concerns for your lad. If you think there is more seaweed and possibly plastic, having him seen would be our best option to just head off any blockage concerns. Otherwise we could try an antacid just now to see if it is a nausea we can settle at home. Bit again if he doesn't respond, we would want this checked for him.
All the best,
Dr. B
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
Best wishes for you both,
Dr. B
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
**I hope all is well with your wee one. If possible, I would be grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience: Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dog began drinking later in the day and has gradually returned to his usual greedy self! Thank you for your help.