Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog is a shit au mix llaperapso born August she used

Customer Question

Hello my dog is a shit au mix llaperapso born August she used to eat everything but now she does not want to eat dog food at and has started to refuse chicken beef our food she only wants treats I have also tried raw meat she eats it sometimes just refused raw mince what should I do she is in season as well but I can't put it down to that.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Julie, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. My primary concern is that such inappetence is being caused by illness rather than preference particularly because Cassie is turning up her nose to even people food. A heat period is unlikely to cause this. Shih Tzus are overrepresented with renal dysplasia - a congenital (present at birth) kidney defect in development. When her vet checks her over it would be prudent to have diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests performed and her kidney tests need to be carefully reviewed because the initial indication of renal failure is usually inappetence. There are, of course, many other medical causes of inappetence which that testing should also spot.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.