Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 13 year old staffy has nasal congestion had X-ray clear antibiotics now on steroids . S

My 13 year old staffy has nasal congestion had X-ray clear antibiotics now on steroids . Sometimes it's very bad can I help her at all . The vet said the next step is a ct scan looking for a tumour
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about Molly's condition. Since the antibiotics and steroids have not been effective, the next step is to look into the nasal cavity. Because of Molly's age, there is a possibility of a mass o tumor that is blocking this area causing this congestion. If your vet has not used a scope to look into the nasal cavity, this would be the next step to see if anything appears abnormal. This is the most non invasive way to diagnose this. If this does not help, then a CT scan or MRI would be required to determine what may be causing this. There is a possibility that there is scar tissue in the nasal cavity that could be blocking the airway and there would be nothing you could do for this except possibly a Bronchodilator that could open up the airways. ASk your vet about this medication before other ore expensive diagnostics are used for your sweet Molly. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you she had had X Ray's and swabs taken they were clear they think it might be a tumour that only a ct scan will show and there wouldn't be anything they could do because of her age .
That is correct that if Molly has a tumor, there is nothing that can be done. If this is asthma or other issues, a bronchodilator may be helpful for this....ask your vet about this. You have nothing to lose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again . I just wondered if there was anything I could do when she's having a problem trying to get rid of the mucus she has no air on one nostril sometimes it's comes out of her nose sometimes it goes down her throat .
The only thing that may help Molly is a Saline Nasal Spray available at the pharmacy over the counter to help clear this mucous. Flonase has been used in certain circumstances but it is best to consult your vet prior to using this; The saline spray will not harm Molly and may help.
Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I really hope your sweet Molly feels better soon! It must be terrible to see her gasping for air! Have a wonderful day!