nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

There. My 11 year old cairn terrier is vomiting and has

Hi there. My 11 year old cairn terrier is vomiting and has been all night. There is now blood, both old and new in the vomit. What shall I do? I'm keeping her warm and quiet, and I am not feeding her. If she has a drink it makes her sick.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How much blood are you seeing? A spoonful, more or less?Can she keep water down?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly,does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants,chemicals, etc)?Any diarrhea or black stool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HGi only a small amount of blood is evident, less than a spoonful, its mainly browny yellowy bile. her gums are pink and moist and her belly is tender. She hasn't had a poo today so I'm unable to say. She is very lethargic, with a dry nose, but also very unsettled.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,I am glad to hear it is only a small volume. Though since you have noted brown in the vomit and old blood; can you tell me if the brown material looks like coffee grounds as opposed to brown from her dog food?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yep more like coffee grounds it looks like, it is quite thick and sticky. She stayed with a friend yesterday but she assured me that Jessie had been well all day and had not eaten anything dangerous that she knows of. She did have a rawhide chew last night that she was furiously devouring, could it be that?
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again, Now I am glad that we aren't see lots of fresh blood, but coffee ground like vomit is a worry for your lass. It is blood that has ben digested by the stomach acid. And is a serious concern because vomit of this nature is something we see when a animal has a bleed in the upper region of the gastrointestinal tract (ie stomach or upper GI). In regards ***** ***** this, we could see this secondary to sharp rawhide damaging the stomach and that would certainly cause her to be tender. That said, that is a bit uncommon and therefore we'd also have to be wary of stomach ulcers, stomach damage due to foreign body ingestion, adverse reaction to some medications, and stomach or intestinal tumors. And it is worth noting that all of these issues could cause nausea, anorexia, lethargy, belly discomfort, and black feces.With all this in mind, we do need to be proactive and aggressive in helping your gal (especially since we cannot see into her bleeding stomach to tell us if there is an ulcer about to perforate the stomach). Therefore, if possible, it would be ideal to get her to the vet urgently. They can help diagnose what is triggering her signs, remove any sharp rawhide (possibly with their scope if small enough) and get her onto some oral gastroprotectants (ie sucralfate) to coat any open stomach lesions, GI safe pain relief (ie bupenorphine, etc), and anti-vomiting medication to help us get her eating again (since an empty stomach means there is nothing for the stomach acid to digest but the stomach itself). Furthermore, they can fully examine her to ensure there is nothing else afoot putting her off her food that could have caused this as a secondary issue.If you cannot get her to the vet immediately, then I would say to at least consider treating her with an antacid to lower the stomach acid pH. These are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac) or Milk of Magnesia (0.5tsp every 8 hours). You will want to give these 20 minutes before offering food and under the circumstances you will want to treat every 8 hours. Of course, if she cannot even keep this down then injectable anti-vomiting and ulcer medication would be needed. Though if she can, we'd want to keep her eating small meals of light diet options (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled egg) to make sure her stomach isn't empty and at the mercy of stomach acid.Overall, I am quite concerned about the signs you are seeing . They are tell us that we have an upper GI bleed that could be a sign of trauma from the rawhide but also a stomach ulcer or possibly something else at her age. Therefore, it would be ideal to get her checked right away. If there is any delay in doing so, then do treat her with an antacid now and keep a close eye on for any emergency signs (ie belly pain or paling of her gums). Finally, just to note in case you were keen to have her seen today, some veterinary practices in our country have office hours today. As well, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get her seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) to find your local vets or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/ ) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get her checked out sooner then there are options to have her seen today too.All the best,Dr. B.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr B thank you, ***** *****'t even think about the antacid and since giving her some Zantac she seems more settled and the vomiting seems to have stopped. I am taking her to the vets.
Best wishes
Deb
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Deb.I am glad to hear that she has settled with the antacid. As well, I do think that is a perfect plan of action given the vomit character and hopefully its only mild irritation that her vet can nip in the bud for her.All the best,Dr. B.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience: Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.