Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I am getting very concerned about the condition of my Border

Customer Question

I am getting very concerned about the condition of my Border Terrier aged 11 years and 10 months old.About 6 months ago she was treated for a benign lump on her foreleg and a non malignant lump on her rear paw. She went on to develop spots on her skin. The vet said it was fleas at first which was a first for my dog.. Anyway I regularly treat her to flea prevention drops, and thoroughly washed all her bedding and scrubbed the carpet and surrounds where she sleeps.Since then I have had to take her back to the vet as she now has black skin patches, and little spots with puss heads on them, all over her body, especially noticeable on her belly.They said she had a skin problem and gave her a jab to reduce the discomfort and tables..She has developed "warts" all over her, which I never had on any of my other border dogs,They said that was down to old age, and I now cannot stroke her without her reacting to it by her legs running a mile where ever I touch her.She was the sort of dog who loved to be stroked .I try but I feel it is distressing her too much.
I am getting despondent having to keep taking her at great expense back to the vet without any improvement.Do you have a dermatology specialist working with you there pls who can advise me.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To help you better I'm going to need you to upload photos of representative skin to our conversation. You can do so by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ The "black skin patches with little spots with puss heads on them" suggest epidermal collarettes and pustules. Collarettes are roughly circular lesions that start out as pustules and then spread outward in a circular manner. The center of the collarette quiets down and hyperpigments but the rim of the collarette can stay inflamed and infected. A Staph infection is usually found although fungal infections and autoimmune skin diseases can also cause collarettes. The "warts" are likely to be benign sebaceous gland tumors of cosmetic importance only.In summary, a superficial spreading pyoderma (the Staph infection) can be treated with an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for a minimum of 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. Bathing in a shampoo twice weekly that contains either chlorhexidine or benzoyl peroxide should hasten remission of the pyoderma. Considering Bonnies advance age, having her tested for hypothyroidism (a blood test called T4/total thyroid) would be prudent as that can predispose to skin disorders such as the infection, flaky skin, and areas of underdeveloped haircoat.Please respond with the photos and further questions or concerns if you wish.