Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Dog has a breathless, "fur ball" type rasping cough from tim

Customer Question

dog has a breathless, "fur ball" type rasping cough from time to time and does drink a lot of water in one go!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. If your sweet Khan is otherwise healthy and eating well, this is most likely a Tracheobronchitis or Kennel Cough. This is a very contagious disease that causes a hacking cough so much so that it appears as if they have something stuck in their throat similar to a hair ball in a cat. This is often contracted at a kennel, groomer, or vets office because this disease is air borne. Since this disease is air borne, Khan can pick this up anywhere. Luckily, this is a self limiting disease that will eventually go away on its own. Give Khan 1 teaspoon of Robitussin DM per 20 pounds of his weight given every 8 hrs. This will calm down the cough so he is more comfortable. It is best to have your vet examine Khan to be sure there is not something else causing this such as an infection or heart disease. This excessive water consumption is not unusual for this condition. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****