nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My puppy is a Westiepoo 9 weeks old she was brought from a

My puppy is a Westiepoo 9 weeks old she was brought from a breeder her poo was formed just slightly soft when I got her, but the following day she had diarrhoea and she has had it for 5 days? I have tried to give her fresh boiled chicken and purina pro plan puppy salmon & rice which was given to me by the breeder. Yesterday I noticed there was blood in the poo, and again today poppy seems ok she is playing and sleeping but I am just worried that everytime she eats she poo's
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I share your concern about this little one.At this age, we often see loose stools related to stress, dietary discretions, worms, protozoa, and opportunistic bacterial and viral infections. And it is not uncommon for them to seem otherwise well but then pass blood as the abnormal stools irritate the colon. In this case, your light diet is a good start, but since her signs have persisted infectious agents are most likely here. Therefore, since this can cause dehydration and nutrient loss (leading to stunting), we do need to be proactive. Therefore, if she hasn't been wormed in the past month, we'd want to do so again now. As well, as long as the blood was just a bit, we can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option and ideal for this pup. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI. Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the loose stools we are seeing at her age. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start to increase our supportive care to rule out worms and slow the diarrhea before dehydration occurs. If she doesn’t respond to the above over the weekend (since she is little); then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration and test a stool sample for those above concerns. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with antibiotics +/- anti-protozoal treatment to settle her this for her. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )