nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 17 year old mongrel , she has had diahorea

Hi I have a 17 year old mongrel bitch, she has had diahorea for a week, sometimes covered in a mmucus membrane type of slime, I have given her scrambled egg and rice but this has not helped, so she is now on steamed chicken and rice, she does not get treats and is very active for her age, what is the best food to give a elderly dog when I get her back to normal on her chicken, or is it best to keep her on fresh meat now.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Are you seeing any blood in these stools? What color are they? Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly,does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants,chemicals, etc)?When was Sophie last wormed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI, She has had blood in hers stools once, they are a normal brown colour, occasionally yellow, she does not seems to be in discomfort when stroking her,, she was wormed about 2 weeks ago, she is always kept on a lead as she is not going deaf, I don't feed her bones and she is not interested in toys anymore, I have no garden so she can't have eaten anything there, and I am always careful not to let her pick any thing up when out walking, she has 2 lumps on her side which our vet is aware of, which don't seem to bother her, unless brushing, she never gets treats except a joint stick.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,Apologies for my delay, it seems my computer felt a reboot was necessary just then (mixed blessing of technology).Anyway, to start, I must warn you that if Sophie's diarrhea has not settled on your light diet, then we'd be wary of this being more then a benign GI upset. In fact, we'd have to be wary of a possible brewing bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, or parasites/protozoa infections. Still, in this case, we can try supportive care. In regards ***** ***** question, we often find boiled rice and chicken beneficial for dogs with diarrhea. Otherwise, we can also use boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or even meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free) as a protein source. Otherwise, if we have a dog with diarrhea that isn't settling, we will alternatively use a balanced light diet option like Hills' I/D or Royal Canin Sensitivity Control or Gastrointestinal. Therefore, those would be our ideals for a situation like this. Otherwise, further to the light diet and worming, I would suggest that you consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI. Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the diarrhea we are seeing. And if its not settling with your light diet, then that suggests that we have another issue present. Therefore, we’d want to use the above at this point. Though if her signs continue to linger, we’d want to at least consider having a stool sample tested by her local vet. That way we can pinpoint which issue is present and ensure we can treat this effectively to get her settled before she can lose weight or become dehydrated.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )