Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My eleven yr old Staff keeps rubbing her back in the same muddy

My eleven yr old Staff keeps rubbing her back in the same muddy patch in our garden, she never does it anywhere else not even on the field. Please can you help us, many thanks Mark
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you would like your girl not to rub her back in the muddy patch in your garden.Since she isn't rubbing her back anywhere else I don't think her behavior is related to an itchy back.I think that for whatever reason she finds the odor of the muddy spot in your garden irresistible, and thus is drawn to roll in it. Sort of like putting on a favorite perfume for you. I understand that isn't what you like, but she is very drawn to the odor.Given that, the only way to change her behavior is to not allow her access to that area of the garden, or somehow change the odor/characteristics of that spot. Perhaps putting down woodchips or gravel in that muddy area would dissuade her from rolling.Best of luck with your pup, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer, I will see how she goes. I just thought it strange to start doing this now, we have lived in the same place for along-time and she is eleven years old.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
It is very strange that she would decide to behave that way suddenly.I can only think that a stray or wild animal got into your garden and marked there, or perhaps you have a leaky pipe that is making the ground there more fragrant.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your helpMark
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my best to your girl.