Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have 2 Morkies sisters, now 7 months old, they are chewers

Customer Question

I have 2 Morkies sisters, now 7 months old, they are chewers ever since I brought them home in November. They have chewed furniture, rugs and even try the brick wall. I have tried several no-chew sprays and even Tabasco sauce, time outs in an enclosed fenced in corner.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a rough time training Daisy and Petunia not to chew on things! I'll do my best to help :) They are definitely still "teenagers" at this stage of their development, so you're dealing with a very strong natural inclination to chew on.... EVERYTHING! The name of the game when it comes to puppies and chewing is prevention and redirection. Picture them like toddlers or pre-school aged children - they should not be out of your sight because they cannot be trusted not to "get into things" that the shouldn't while you're not supervising. When you cannot be watching them, they need to be confined in an area where they can't chew on things you'd rather that they didn't - like a crate, a baby play pen, or a circular gated area with no furniture, etc. If you're not there to stop them and redirect them to chew on something appropriate, they will not learn "naturally" what's OK to chew and what's no OK to chew - it's all fair game. When they do begin to get off course in their chewing and play behavior, it's important that you reign them in and redirect them to an appropriate toy. Also, when they play with their appropriate toys without your prompting, reward them with praise or small treats. This is how they learn what you want them to do. It's also very important that they get structured exercise outside of their normal environment. Imagine how bored we would all be if we never left our own home. Walks or romps off of your property will tire them out both physically and mentally, leaving them with less energy to spend on chewing things in your home that they shouldn't. The ASPCA has a great write up on inappropriate chewing here:http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/destructive_chewing.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/ Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)