Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a pedigree female staffy nearly 13yrs old. Has lots

Hi, i have a pedigree female staffy nearly 13yrs old. Has lots of visual lumps. And went gradually deaf over the last 12 months. She has recently had 2 ulcerated lumps removed and still has stitches in. She is also being treated for acid reflux due to being sick early hours of the morning for the last week. Today she had her first seizure. She flopped down on her bed but her front legs went tense and she threw her head back, hit it on the coffee table & stayed there for a few seconds alerting me. her eyes wobbled side to side as if dizzy and she lay down, her eyes then went very wide. After a few more seconds she looked at me and wagged her tail. Only lasted a few seconds but scared me! I rang our local vet that just told me it was a seizure and to let her recover in a quiet dark room. They didnt suggest treatment or a visit unless she had any more. I need to know if this is the start of the end? How often and how servere can the seizures get? How long do i have left with her? Can i help her in any way? Thank you Elva
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question Eva. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Any pre existing medical conditions? 2- I will assume this is the first time it happens, correct? 3- Is she back to normal now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was the first time. She has had two more seizures since and i have taken her to a local vet after her second. She is elderly deaf and has previously had two mass cell tumours removed at the age of 5yrs and 7yrs. She has always been a healthy dig besides various kinds of growths. Some are cysts, some are skin tags. I do worry there may be growths that we cannot see. She is a little overweight. Other than that, she has been a lovely, happy, well loved and loyal girl. Elva
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Elva, in response to your question when a dog seizes there is often an underlying medical problem causing the seizure. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, possible causes for seizures in dogs are: An under active thyroid (hypothyroidism), kidney or liver disease, hypoglycemia, brain tumors, idiopathic (unknown), etc. to name a few causes. A very common cause is idiopathic epilepsy, meaning we do not know why the brain behaves in such manner but we can control the seizures with medications (phenobarbital or/and potassium bromide). So, this does not mean that it is the end for her, prognosis is very dependent on exact underlying cause. As far as how often and severe, this varies immensely. There are seizures that could last seconds to others that can last minutes to hours. The frequency also varies, some dogs may seize once a year others without medication could seize daily. So, there isn't really a set number of seizures that we can anticipate, every patient is different. In this case, I would highly recommend you discuss with your family veterinarian about doing blood work and urinalysis as initial screening test to rule out the above mentioned diseases. If the seizures occur more than once a month medication (phenobarbital or potassium bromide) should be started to stop or prevent the seizures. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter