nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

There my Pom x chihuahua walked through stinging nettles

Customer Question

Hi there my Pom x chihuahua walked through stinging nettles this evening, yelped, jumped and landed in them again, he is now displaying some really odd behaviours. He is standing in one spot running all 4 paws on carpet, blighting and liking paws, he seems very uncomfortable, is thee anything I can do to help? I haves bathed him in cool water, tho has not helped, many thanks in advance. Yours very worried per owner
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Poor Winston!Nettles stings can be terribly sore when in contact with unprotected skin like the paws. So, his behavior is not unexpected. In regards ***** ***** soothe that sting, we have a few options. First, we can cool compress the irritated paws. As well, it can help to apply a paste of sodium bicarbonate or OTC hydrocortisone cream to the area. Of course, he shouldn't lick these, so he may need a buster collar or baby socks covering his feet for the short term to prevent that.Otherwise, we can try him with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Piriton/Chlorphenamine ( 4-8mg every 12 hours) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We do like to keep the dose low to start since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. And if you use these and he doesn't settle, we could even have his vet start a low dose of steroid to counter this inflammation and irritation he is experiencing. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )