nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My partner and I are looking after a dog friend.

Hi, my partner and I are looking after a dog for a friend. we got her 2 weeks ago and she has been having diarrhoea every couple of days. she seems to have it then it goes back to normal for a few days then its start to go loose again. She is very happy in herself and still loves to play and very energetic. She has a very staple diet of rice boiled mince or chicken and dried food twice a day, and she drinks well. we've not changed her dried food, so didn't think it was that. So we are not sure what we should do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Has she bee eating anything odd since you have had her (ie plants, dirt, etc)?Is the stool watery or just soft? Any color change or blood?Are you using the same mince the owner does?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we've been watching her well and making sure she's not eating anything odd whilst on walk etc. her stools are like a cow pat. No change in colour and no bloods.
I'm not sure if it's the same mince. So it could be that. She was having chicken before then and she was fine.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** positive to hear that we can rule out odd ingestions. In that case, then we'd be most suspicious that the intermittent loose stools are related to either the mince (since some have more fat then others which can loosen stool) or a bit of stress from being away from home leading to imbalance in the good gut bacteria.With these in mind, I'd suggest putting her on just the chicken and holding off on the mince. If she settles, we likely have our culprit. Though otherwise, we could use a OTC canine probiotic (ie Fortiflora) and if she is very runny you could have your vet dispense an OTC probiotic/kaolin treatment like Propectalin, Canikur, or Protexin Pro-Fiber to just rebalance the gut and help settle this for her. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in, how is everything going?Dr. B.