nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Cavapoo puppy 6 months old Had broken metatarsals Splint

Cavapoo puppy 6 months old
Had broken metatarsals
Splint removed on Friday
Off her food since
Now appears constipated
Just had to clean a mass of poo from her anus and surrounding fur
Thoughts please
Thanks John
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 9 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?Is she drinking? Can she keep water down?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?Is she straining to pass stool? Did what she pass look like diarrhea?If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Until Friday everything was fine
Since then loss of appetite
None of the other symptoms you describe
Loose stool yesterday for the first time ever
Expert:  nekovet replied 9 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** on any medication just now?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nothing at all
She had a sling removed on Friday and I guess she was anethetised then
Expert:  nekovet replied 9 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** her signs, I would be concerned that we do have an underlying GI upset affecting both her stomach and intestines. Now usually in these cases this will be an adverse reaction to anti-inflammatories used. But if she isn't on any, then we'd have to be wary of an opportunistic infection taking advantage of her body being focused on healing. With this in mind, we need to tread with care since she is quite young and thus dehydration and nutrient loss are major risk factors for her. To start, we can try to allay the nausea that is likely putting her off her food. To do so, we can use an antacid like Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Calcium carbonate (60-120mg every 8 hours; this can be purchased at some larger pet stores as well as the chemist), or Milk of Magnesia (0.5tsp every 8 hours). hichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication. Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Though if she cannot be tempted and since she isn't vomiting, we can also syringe feed her at this stage. To do so, we can water down calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned puppy food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Dogsure). As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. And these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in. Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Finally, as long as you have not seen blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI. Overall, considering her signs and situation, this is highly suspect of a secondary infection taking advantage of her while her immune system is distracted. Therefore, we'd want to initiate the above supportive care at this point. Of course, if these signs linger, we'd want to update her vet as we may need to cover bases with antibiotics +/- injectable anti-nausea medication and appetite stimulants to settle her gut and get her back to eating properly. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience: Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.