Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have noticed a scab on the thigh of my 7 year old grey

Customer Question

Hello I have noticed a scab on the thigh of my 7 year old grey hound Ross..it is quite small but not tiny it's flat black and the furr has come off it ..the skin directly around it seems to be quite pink but when I touch it it's not bothering him at all ? Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has he had this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only noticed it yesterday but looking at it it's quite dry and hard so it must have been a few days possibly ..
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can send a photo
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
If you can post a picture on this thread that would be perfect. I will wait for the photo. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, I am sorry but I can not make a live call at this moment. I am waiting on the photo.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the whole page has frozen at my end and I can't even message you ..I called customer support
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry you are having trouble with the site. In response to your question, the lesion that you are describing is consistent with a localized infection. This is what you can try: 1- Do not let him lick the lesion or the medication below. If he does lick pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area. 2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap. 3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. 4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.Dr. Peter