Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My old dog is struggling to get up his back legs keep slipping

my old dog is struggling to get up his back legs keep slipping out when he tries to walk. He seems to be unable to keep his back end up
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Is he currently on any medications? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started this morning when he got up. He came in from the garden last night and had caught one of his nails on something, it was bleeding and a bit sore but he seemed to be walking okay. he takes a regular dose of Seraquin each day, because he has been a bit arthritic for the past 2 years. He is 14.5/ Other than that he is generally healthy eats well but is not very active any more. he is a chocolate labrador.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, what you are describing is common in patients that have arthritic hips/spine or a pinched nerve along the lumbar area as a result of a bulging disc. Basically what is happening is the inflammation that occurs in these joints will interfere with the motor function to the back legs. Less likely we can sometimes see weakness of the extremities with systemic diseases like: Abdominal tumors, infections, kidney or liver disease, etc. Unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. He will need to be seen by a veterinarian to start him on prescription anti inflammatory medications stronger than Seraquin. Highly recommend having him checked as soon as you can, the sooner he is started on medication the better the prognosis. In the meantime, do not give over the counter pain killers most are toxic to dogs and will interfere with certain medications your vet may need to use. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.