Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 15yr old Border Collie was vomiting about a week ago. He

Customer Question

My 15yr old Border Collie was vomiting about a week ago. He has stopped vomiting but for the past 3 days he refuses to eat. His eyes and skin have a yellow tinge, and there feels like a lump under his skin about halfway down his spine and a little beneath to his right side. What do you advise. He has a terror of the Vets which is why I havent taken him yet.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear that Ben is not feeling well. These symptoms tell us that he most likely has Liver Failure and possibly Kidney failure due to the vomiting. Liver Disease causes this yellow tinge to their skin and eyes and lack of appetite. Because of your sweet Ben's age, I worry that he may have a multiple organ failure which will require intensive treatment by your vet. I would not be too concerned about the masses that you describe since they appear superficial but we cannot rule out a form of cancer that can cause this organ failure. I know that Ben hates vets but you will have no choice but to have the diagnostics run by your vet as soon as possible so you know what will be best for your deer old friend. In most cases, Ben is probably ill enough to not have this terror of the vet. You may also have the option of having a mobile vet to run the preliminary blood work and physical exam which may be less stressful for your sweet Ben. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Loretta,
I was fearing as much. Will he be in bad pain? If we are going to lose him I would consider allowing him to die quietly at home rather than putting him through the trauma of the Vets. Is there treatment for Liver failure, drugs maybe? Yes - I am clutching at straws!!
Christine
You are very welcome, Christine...I know this is really hard. If Ben is suffering now, this will only get worse. There are treatments for certain types of Liver Disease but not all. My concern for your sweet Ben is that there may be Liver Cancer and this will only get worse. I know you do not want your precious guy to suffer, Christine but this is a choice you will make once you know for sure what type of Liver Disease Ben has.... Once again, I am so sorry Christine...I wish I could give you even a glimmer of hope but this does nto look good for your precious Ben. Thank you so much, Christine for your kind rating and generous bonus. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I know you will do what is best for your old friend....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again Dr Loretta, can I let you know what happens?
Yes, please!! I would LOVE to know, Christine, what happens with your precious Ben....My thoughts and prayers are with you and Ben!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. I will watch him day to day , but I won't let him suffer. Your kindness has been so warm. I'll say goodbye for now.
Christine
You are very welcome, Christine....we have all been where you are in some form or another and it is never easy. I know you love Ben and will do what is best for him.... Please let me know...do you have a picture of him? Try to send it if you do...it would be nice to put a face with your sweet guy. Thanks!