nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 6 year old ***** ***** female developed skin allergy four

My 6 year old ***** ***** female developed skin allergy four years ago. She was tested and had a special injection from Holland but had to go on Atopica 50mg to keep it at bay. Unfortunately, the insurance got so expensive we had to opt out and we want to look for an alternative tablet less expensive. She was one of the unlucky ones where the injection didn't work for her. Apart from her ears and part of her face which has a few scabs she is in good shape. She gets atopica every day except Sunday's and Wedbesdays. Thank you. Barbara
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, Barbara. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I am very sorry to hear that Holly's insurance has become so costly. In that case, I would advise a word with her vet. We can sometimes get Atopica cheaper from online pharmacies (since these bigger companies are able to buy the drug in for less) and your vet can dispense a prescription if need be. Otherwise, they could try Holly on Apoquel, steroids, or even antihistamines as all are less costly compared to the Atopica and could help us keep her skin stable for her. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just been reading about Apoquel. We are both pensioners and it's unfortunate she has this skin complaint as otherwise she is a perfectly healthy adorable friend. She attends the vet every eight weeks to finish off the injection which they ordered for her and also to get the Atopica which is over 4 euro a day along with other ointments for ears etc which runs up her bill. They know she is coming off insurance and said there is steroids which are cheaper.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,Apoquel has been a real good option for our patients since it became available, so it is worth considering. Otherwise, steroids are the cheapest option and can at least keep her comfortable.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience: Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help and advice. Barbara
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Barbara. :)All the best for Holly,Dr. B.