Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We brought our new 9 week old puppy home today, after his first

We brought our new 9 week old puppy home today, after his first ever car journey which was 2 hours.
He has vomited on 3 occasions and won't eat or drink any water
We're hoping it's just nerves from moving home and being away from siblings/mother but are a bit worried
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple of questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.Did he seem nauseous on the car ride?How is his activity level?What color are his gums?If you press into his abdomen from both sides, is he painful or uncomfortable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was well behaved and quiet in the car
His activity level was quite active for an hour, then vomited, then slept for an hour.
Took him outside for 10 mins, he vomited, pootled about, went back in and has slept on and off ever since (about 2 hours now) though has vomited again in that time
Shows no discomfort when squeezing abdomen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry ... his gums are pink
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** stool is normal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When we first got home, yes, and as soon as we got him in from the car but since then it's been more like daeorrea ( 3 occasions )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's just vomited again, just a bile type now
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. Sorry about the wait. I had an emergency to take care of. It is possible it could just be due to motion sickness from the car ride, but that should have stopped by now. Stress from a new home is possible as well, but even if that is the case, 4 episodes of vomiting for a 9 week old puppy is a lot. They are prone to dehydration much, much easier. I would have him seen by your vet to be on the safe side. Even if it is just stress, they can give him something to calm the nausea and some fluids to make sure he stays hydrated. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks ... It's 10.45pm now, he's not distressed but keeps wretching every so often ... we'll keep our eye on him through the night and get him to a vet first thing
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. If nothing is coming out, and he seems to be acting normal otherwise, most likely he will be fine. I would feel a little better if he ate something to make sure he doesn't get low blood sugar, which puppies that age are prone to. Even a little bread or rice would be fine. If he starts to look more weak or having bloody stool; I wouldn't hesitate to get him evaluated ASAP. You have a good night. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.