nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 2 year old English Bulldog which is suffering

I have a 2 year old English Bulldog which is suffering from a severe pulmonic stenosis (this is at heart failure stage).
Surgery was not possible, so the condition is managed with atenelol and vetmedin. The condition is at the stage where she is receiving fluid buildup in her abdomen.
This has been drained twice before and is being managed with a number of diuretics (Upcard, Prilactone and moduret 25). This has lead to low Electrolytes in her most recent bloodscan.
Due to the difficulty of finding a potassium supplement for dogs, she is taking Kaminox (for cats). This is liquid based and goes into her food - but she just does not like it - and puts her off her food.
Are you aware of any alternatives that can be used for the potassium supplemnts (ideally in tablet form)?
Many Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. In regards ***** ***** question, I'd consider having your vet order in Tumil- K (More Info). It comes as a powder or tablet and can be used for situations of this nature. If your vet has any issues obtaining this through the UK branch of the company, they can specially request it from the US branch of the company. Otherwise, there is another American product you can have them look into called RenaPlus. Otherwise, if we cannot obtain those for any reason, then it'd be worth speaking to your vet about use human intended potassium gluconate preparations (example) or even the use of a compounding pharmacy as they can take our supplements and flavor them to make them more palatable and easier to give. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )