Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 12 yr old lurcher cross greyhound he is blind but

I have a 12 yr old lurcher cross greyhound he is blind but otherwise in perfect health. He has a number of fatty cysts under his belly. Over the past 3 months we have watched a nasty looking sore on the side of his ribs grow and get bigger. It looks cancerous but I couldn't be certain. He hates going to the vet at the beSt of times but with his blindness he is even worse and I can't lift him. Could I get a diagnosis online using a photo of the sore on his side?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.
I'd be pleased to take a look at a photo(s) that you can upload by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks pls see attached
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He is eating well, still keen on his walks but from time to time has a very loose stool (probably once a week)
Thank you! The best scenario is that it represents one of the benign sebaceous gland tumors - nodular sebaceous hyperplasia, sebaceous epitheliomas, and sebaceous adenomas. The worst case scenario is that it represents the rare malignant sebaceous gland adenocarcinoma or a mast cell tumor. An adenocarcinoma or mast cell tumor is more likely to grow larger and quicker. I, too, don't like the way this looks. It really should be excised and biopsied. Mast cell tumors can metastasize locally and to distant sites and the quicker they're removed, the less likely metatasis will occur. His loose stool probably isn't related to this tumor although we do see gastrointestinal mastocytosis from time to time. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you think it is worth the anaesthesia in a 12 year old dog? I am not worried about the cost of it just want to do what's right for Barry.
Age isn't a disease. He'll need to have his blood chemistries checked and heart carefully auscultated (listened to) so the anesthesiologist knows how best to manage Barry. The surgery is relatively quick and easy. I understand that a dog of his size is likely to be at life expectancy between 11-13 years of age. You may be looking at a tumor that eventually ulcerates and becomes chronically infected and impossible to manage in a conservative manner which then would necessitate euthanasia but not until it caused Barry and you considerable distress. It's stil at a size at which a simple surgery can be curative.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That is very helpful thank you so much I shall ring my vet tomorrow and make the appointment. You have given me the confidence to give it a go! He is such a special chap to our family.
You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.