Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I just came across your site. My 13kg ckcs spaniel has had difficulty since some time y

Hi I just came across your site. My 13kg ckcs spaniel has had difficulty since some time yesterday passing stool. He is strainig but just passind small thready liquidy bits. Can I try him on a small amount of lactulose tonight or call vet straightaway?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 11 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.Was the stool loose or firm?Any blood or mucus in the stool?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
A small amount of mucus, loose but "shaped" stool his stools are normally quite firm
Thanks for the information. It sounds more like he has more of an issue with inflammation in the colon (colitis) than a fecal impaction. The straining and mucus are both typical of that. Colitis is typically caused by a something they ate, but it can be due to stress, intestinal parasites, masses in the colon, irritable bowel syndrome, liver problems and pancreatitis. The inflammation causes them to feel like they have to go, but there is actually not much stool in the colon. It is usually soft or runny anyway, so the lactulose will only make it worse. I would definitely have your vet check this out instead. If he is not eating or is vomiting, I would definitely have him seen sooner than later. If he is doing fine otherwise, it is not an emergency, but I would get him in as soon as you can. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. He is eating and drinking fine and happy in himself, so I will make an appointment at vet in the next day or two then
You are very welcome. If he does seem to get worse, though, I would have him seen sooner than later. Let me know if you have any further concerns. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience: Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience