Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

We have a 6yr old border collie male.. very active pet.. he

Customer Question

we have a 6yr old border collie male.. very active pet.. he has blood in his wee.. and drips regular.. this has been on and off for about 3 weeks now.. 2 bad days then after rest, nothing for days then starts again.. eats and drinks ok. looks fine in himself. still active.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am sorry Cody is having issues with urination There are a handful of causes of urination that has blood in it:1.) A urinary tract infection2.) Bladder stones that traumatize the bladder and cause bleeding3.) A bladder tumor, most likely in a senior pet4.) Trauma- hit by car, muscle trauma of some kind Ideally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the pain associated with the bleeding. Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of the blood in the urine. Your vet will run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms Diagnosing the issue will help determine how best to treat the blood in the urine to get your pet comfortable swiftlyBelow is more information on this condition in dogs, called hematuria (blood in urine): http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/hematuria-blood-in-urine-in-dogsPlease let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist withIf you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!