Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My do Pippa is a collie/pointer cross. 12 years old. She

My do Pippa is a collie/pointer cross. 12 years old.
She has had Diarrhea for a few days & been a bit off her food
I noticed this morning when taking her for a walk that she still has Diarrhea & that her poo was very reddy/brown - I suspect there is blood in it
Please advise
Paul
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I am so sorry Pippa is experiencing this. The fact it is not clearing on its own after a few days means she is going to need to be seen by her vet, but it sounds like she is stable and this could potentially wait until tomorrow. However, if the diarrhea progresses to be primarily blood, she has abomdinal pain, starts vomiting or seems lethargic then this becomes an emergency and she needs to be seen today. I can, however, give you a few hints to try at home today to see if you can get her to improve so long as she seems to be still eating and feeling okay.There are many possible causes for this diarrhea; unfortunately it is such a nonspecific symptom. It could mean she has anything from ingestion of an unusual item that upset her system or is trapped in her digestive tract to organ issue (liver, kidney) to pancreatitis to parasites to cancer. It would require a bit of testing to try to narrow down the exact cause.If she was my patient and you did not want her seen today, then I might recommend you try:1) Feed a bland diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 to 4 small meals per day.2) Give famotidine (Pepcid AC) 10mg every 12 hours for nausea/vomit. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.3) Peptobismol tablet: give 1/2 tab by mouth every 8 hours for diarrhea. This medication must be given 1 hour after any other medication as it will coat the system and can potentially prevent absorption of other medications.4) Probiotic supplementation: Start a probiotic such as one made for dogs (Proviable or Fortiflora) or you may use culturelle as made for people (1 capsule daily). Or if you cannot get any of those products then give 1 tsp of plain yogurt once daily.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have.I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.