Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My rescue Irish setter had worn down front teeth when we got

Customer Question

My rescue Irish setter had worn down front teeth when we got him. He is now 14yrs and the rest of his teeth are covered in brown scale and red sore gums. Is he too old to have a teeth clean at the vets.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.No, he is not too old to have his teeth cleaned! We do not base a decision to clean teeth on age. We base it on health. If he is otherwise healthy with no major problems (no heart disease, liver/kidney issues) and screening lab work done before anesthesia is normal, then he would be an excellent candidate to have his teeth cleaned. If your vet hesitates based on his age when he is otherwise doing great, then you need to seek out a second opinion. I do a lot of dental work on pets and most of my patients are between 12 and 16 years of age. They do great with selection of the right anesthesia and having excellent monitoring tools. I find focusing on keeping the patient hydrated (IV fluids during the procedure, especially warmed fluids) and warm seems to make a very smooth experience. It sounds like he really would benefit from a dental evaluation under anesthesia. For the worn teeth these are probably fine, but dental X-rays can help us make that judgement. If worn to the brown dental star then I would advocate having these teeth bonded (sealed) since they can experience heat/cold sensitivity and this protects the tooth. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.