Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I am looking after my daughter's rescued retired greyhounds.

Customer Question

I am looking after my daughter's rescued retired greyhounds. The oldest girl who is about 7 has developed a limp in her front paw. She was fine on her walk and after. This developed after zoomies inn the garden with her younger sister. There is no obvious damage to the paw. She let me feel it all over with a bit of pressure with no apparent pain. I will of course take her to a vet if it doesn't improve but can I give her baby aspirin in the meantime? I won't walk her today. Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. I won't call but look forward to your reply
Hello again Sorry to hear your Greyhound is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. In direct answer to your question : Yes, aspirin is sometimes prescribed as a short term treatment for dogs which have minor strains, sprains and muscular skeletal pain. Strict rest for a couple days and then a gradual return to exercise combined with the aspirin would be a good idea for such cases, this sort of approach can often resolve the matter.2. On a short term home remedy basis aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other over the counter human pain killers. A typical dose rate would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK 3. But of course if your Greyhound doses not quickly improve using the above common sense means or if you note any deterioration then it would be best to have your local vet check her over.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how your Greyhound is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning aspirin doses ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.