Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My year old cockatoo appetite has stopped and he has started

Customer Question

My year old cockatoo appetite has stopped and he has started to eat other dog poo. He has started weeing in the house also should I be worried it has been 3 days since I've noticed him not eating and we have had two accidents
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. If he has not eaten for 3 days, I am worried about him. Is he drinking water? If you check his gums, do they look pink in color? Any vomiting, or diarrhea? If he is urinating inside the house, he may have a bladder infection, or he may be sick and not wanting to go out to urinate because he is not well. Anytime a dog does not eat for 1 day, I am concerned. If he were my own dog, or my patient, I would start with a thorough physical exam: take his temp, check gum color, palpate lymph nodes and internal organs, listen with a stethoscope, etc. and since he is having accidents, I would also do a urinalysis. Until you can get him checked out, try to keep him hydrated by offering ice chips, water, broth. Try to get him to eat even if you have to offer baby food or cat food. If you can take his temp, or check the color of his gums, tell me what you find. Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is eating but leaving over half of his food so I'm not needing to top up at dinner time. I've found no evidence of vomiting or diarrhea in the garden. He seems to still be drinking and fine in himself. His gums are pink in colour also
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I was not still online when you responded. Good that he is eating some, and his gums are pink. Is he drinking water more than usual, or normal? If he continues to have accidents in the house, I would do a urinalysis to check for a bladder infection. If he is not eating normally, he is telling us something is wrong. Let me know how he is doing and what other questions you have.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the great rating. How is he doing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He still seems pretty fine in himself he is eating all his dinner but i have reduced the amount slightly havent had any more accidents or discusting eating. Do young males go through a stage where they feel they have to we everywhere to scent mark as we have noticed he does this more recently or could this be a sign of a bladder infection. Do dogs act unwell if they feel it or would we not really notice given his age. He is only 14months old. Also are their any tricks to make him come to you every time as he thinks everything is a game so sometimes he just wont
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Is he neutered? Yes, young males will start urine marking, sometimes in the house, when they become mature. Neutering will help, if he is not neutered. Frequent urination can also be a sign of a bladder infection. Getting a dog to come when called is part of basic obedience training. I would recommend a good puppy obedience class if he has not done so. I would first teach sit, and watch me, and then work on come. Have treats on you at all times, and say come at random times, and give him a treat for coming. If he learns that there is a reward for coming, he will start to do it more consistently. Get him neutered, get into an obedience class, and he will probably be better behaved!