Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 7yr old dog started on Predindale tablets one yr ago due

My 7yr old dog started on Predindale tablets one yr ago due to an allergy reponse to something we could not detect. Now I have been told after tests that my dog is now diabetic. On research I am aware that the long term usage of this drug can cause diabeties. I was wanting to ask that if we could ween my dog of of the steroids would there be a possibility that the diabeties could reside. Regards ***** ***** Oldman
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. Unfortunately, when a dog develops diabetes, it is usually Type 1 diabetes that will require insulin for life. He most likely won't ever be able to produce enough insulin. I would definitely be weaning him off the steroids regardless because it will now make regulating his diabetes much harder. I would talk to your vet about starting him on an alternative medication for allergies, such as oral cyclosporine, while he is being weaned off the prednisone. If he has a shot at going into remission with diabetes, he will need to be on a prescription diabetic diet through your vet, but that is not something that typically happens in dogs. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.