Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cavalier king Charles is yelping in pain, we cannot

Hi, my cavalier king Charles is yelping in pain, we cannot tell where he is hurting but I am suspecting tooth ache as when I give him a treat he is taking it very slowly and yelps as he is eating it, is there any pain relief I can give him until I get him to the vets tomorrow?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
You're necessarily constrained to aspirin dosed at 20 mg/kg with food at 12 hour intervals or paracetamol dosed at 15 mg/kg thrice daily. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's not eating so can I give him it without food?
Yes, but he's more likely to suffer GI distress if aspirin is dosed without food in his stomach. That can be countered by administering an antacid such as PepcidTwo dosed at 0.5 mg/kg of the famotidine in that product. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I hope that your CKCS feel better quickly.