Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 11 year old neutered cocker spaniel Bentley keeps humping

Customer Question

my 11 year old neutered cocker spaniel Bentley keeps humping the grass whenever the opportunity arises. This habit is getting worse as he gets older and I am sure something is not quite right. When he was born both his testicles were retained and never came down. So he had them removed.
He also now wont stop yapping if he is out on a walk or if I talk to any one in my home.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. This sudden onset of this behavior can mean many things. The first thing to do is to have a complete and thorough physical on Bentley since there are medical causes for this such as a Urinary Tract Infection and others. If this is ruled out, then this behavior can be due to anxiety, stress or attention. Try purchasing a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is s canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent to decrease anxiety. The fact that Bentley is also yapping when he does this can be due to anxiety or stress. This LINK can give you more tips on how best to stop this behavior. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****