nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Once a week my 15 year old ***** ***** wakes up and coughs

once a week my 15 year old ***** ***** wakes up and coughs for a short time
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no answer
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: How long has Max had this cough?Is it a harsh or soft cough?Does he bring anything up?How is he otherwise? Any changes to his appetite, breathing, weight, or drinking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Max gets the cough well the last time was 6 week's ago
i would say a soft cough
no he doesn't but when he was on antibiotics which contained penicillin before xmas he would bring up clear fluid ,however the vet checked his lungs they were clear
, he was then put on another antibiotic and he was fine
No changes still eats like a horse
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** am glad to hear that Max is otherwise eating as normal and comfortable.Though I must say that if we have a chronic soft cough that didn't totally settle with treatment and is lingering for weeks like this we do need to tread with care. The reason is because while its response to antibiotics would suggest bacterial cases, the relapse suggests that that wasn't the full story.Its possible the infection wasn't fully sensitive to the antibiotic used, but we'd also have to be wary of the bacteria being secondary to an underlying issue. And at his age, we can often see soft coughs related to bronchitis, asthma, pneumonia, lung tumors, tracheal disease (ie polpys, growths, tracheal collapse, etc), parasite infections (lung or heartworm), or heart issues.With all these in mind, even if his vet felt the lungs were clear when they listened, we'd really want to be thinking about an xray. This is much more sensitive at diagnosing changes in the lungs or heart since it would let you see what is actually going on within in his chest so that appropriate treatment can be started for him to soothe that cough. So, that would be best at this point for Max.Though in the meantime until you have an xray, I do want to note a few options you can try to soothe his throat and try to reduce this coughing First, you can try him with plain over the counter glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it). Typically we will give a milliliter (~1/4 teaspoon) as needed. This will aid to soothe his throat and settle any upper airway related coughing. Alternatively, you can try Benylin Tickly cough. If you choose to use this one, I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any containing other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. These will help soothe throat irritation and can help at least decrease coughing until you have him seen.Overall, for Max to have a soft cough for weeks despite antibiotics raises some real concerns. Therefore, do try the above to give his throat some relief, but it would be prudent to discuss an xray with his vet. That way we can see what is ongoing in his chest and airway which will allow you to effectively treat the root of the cough and get this settled for him. All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to say the antibiotics he was on was for infection in his paw,no cough since 2.30 am this morning and he running around when the wife got home this afternoon
I have also been giving him yumove for the last weeks would this cause the cough
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, None of those should have affected his throat to cause a cough unless he perhaps struggled to take them. In any case, if he is active and well today, you could try a 24 hour break from both treatments and the above to see if he settles. If he doesn't then we'd want to again consider looking into this further for him.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No cough today eating and drinking normal went for his walk this morning hes barking when you show him the lead ( happy days )
But thank you for your feedbacks
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, I am very glad to hear that it is settling. In that case, we may have the tail end of an infection. So do monitor at this stage and hopefully we won't hear anymore coughing for him. Please take care, Dr B
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Max my 15 year old ***** ***** as had a wart on the back of his next for a few years now, But in the last few days its gone flaky is this the norm
It was checked out by the vets when it first came up , he told me it was harmless
IT doesn't seem to bother him