Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have a 1 year old born 5/4/15 toy poodle . She came

I have a 1 year old born 5/4/15 toy poodle bitch.
She came into season 23rd April 2016 and although the bleeding has eased off a little she seems to be extremely swollen around her vulva and also her anus. she is uncomfortable and whimpers frequently is there anything abnormal about this and how long should I expect this to last. I have never had a bitch before
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for Topsy; I can understand why you might be a little worried about her. Even though I'm not a huge believer in coincidence, I'm having a hard time connecting a swollen vulva and a swollen anal area.A female estrus (heat) cycle can vary between individuals and can last as short as 7 days or as long as 14 or even longer. The vulva tends to swell the most during the second half of the cycle and will remain somewhat larger than it was before she had her heat if that makes sense. It won't be nearly as large as when it's affected by her hormones but it won't ever be as small as before those hormones were present, in other words.So, it sounds as if the appearance of her vulva may be normal.In addition, the amount of blood present during the estrus cycle can vary as well with the volume diminishing during the second half of the cycle for many females. While some dogs can display behavioral changes during their estrus cycles where they're more needy or affectionate or just the opposite, more standoffish, these patients are rarely uncomfortable. Therefore, if her anal area is swollen and she's vocalizing, I'd have to wonder if she's having a problem with her anal glands....a very commonly seen problem in smaller breed dogs.If you are not familiar with these glands, the following link discusses them in detail: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=625Some dogs are extremely bothered when these glands fill up which causes pressure on their bodies and will continue to do so until they are emptied. Although a groomer can provide this service for you, they usually attempt to empty the glands externally. The better method is done rectally which is how a vet tech or your vet would empty them. Most patients will continue to show signs of discomfort until or unless these glands are emptied; therefore, this is something that I'd want to rule out as causing her discomfort rather than assuming it's estrus related. I hope this helps. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. Best of luck with Topsy. Kind regards, Deb