Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My goldendoodle has has her left back opperated on 5/6 months

Customer Question

My goldendoodle has has her left back opperated on 5/6 months ago for ruptured cruciate lig now is having probs with r back leg as she fell out of car at weekend she is on meticam and now pardale v since the weekend 4 days she has loose stools now so stopped the pardale also she still has not regained complete strenght in op leg. Im loathed to put her through another op on so called good leg due at vet this afternoon for another check. She was given an injection of tramadol at weekend which really seemed to help do u think she could be managed with meticam & tramadol she seemed much happier shes only 5...6 in Dec..thanks
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry but I cannot make a call for the website. My name is Rebecca I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I am sorry to hear you are worried about Ruby. Has she been checked to see if the cruciate ligament in her other leg is now torn? Many dogs with one torn cruciate will go on to tear the other. Metacam and tramadol are a reasonable combination for pain, and are safe given together. Pardale V contains paracetamol which has been associated with liver problems if given over time to dogs, so I would chose metacam and tramadol if this were my own dog. If there is anyone doing prolotherapy in your area, that might help this new injury, if it is a cruciate tear. Let me know if this is helpful. If you prefer to wait for a veterinarian who can call you, let me know and I will opt out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response no she hasn't had x-ray yet for good leg but that is what the vet said as I'm taking her later today for another assessment. I'm concerned that she seems no better in the operated leg has trouble getting up from sitting at moment. I don't think I can put her or myself thro another op so soon. I would much perfer to try different meds and hydrotherapy to she how she responds. What would u suggest?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I would try the Metacam/tramadol, and consider prolotherapy (regenerative injection therapy, RIT) in both knees if she were my own dog. It is important for a dog to have slow gradual use of the operated leg after surgery: limited leash walking at first, gradually working up to longer walks. Running off leash, quick turns, jumping, can slow healing after surgery. Did the surgeon make recommendations for physical therapy and rehab after surgery?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes she did as you say lead walks specified times no stairs ect we had physio excercises to do before & after walks. She was doing really well at her 12 week app the vet was so pleased but over the last couple weeks gone backwards I feel now the other one has started. Unfortunately she is a spinner has been since a pup. I have app with vet in 1 hour just want to be able to discuss alternatives to more surgery even if I could put off surgery for a while & strengthen the op leg but have her happy with pain management
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If the other leg is painful, she may be trying to use the leg that had surgery too much. I would ask if there are veterinarian doing prolotherapy, or rehab work as a speciality in your area. Let me know what you find out and if I can answer anything else.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How is she dong? Let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer anything else.