Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Springer X malamute 11 months - mother and pup food till

Springer X malamute
11 months - mother and pup food till last week, gradual change to big boy food
Not as interested in food as normal
Most concern , panting quite a lot with access to fresh water.
Worried daddy here!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for Loki. I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind: 1. How long as he been panting with reduced interest in food?2. Can you tell me the color of his gums?3. Is he lethargic? Or any other symptoms such as balance issues or lameness?4. Can you take his temperature?5. Have you offered him any people food? Will he eat treats? There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. About 4 days noticeably
2. Pinkish a bit dark, dull, not a vibrant flesh colour
3. Still bouncy, subtle whines now and again, no balance issue. Runs into things always.
4. I don't have a thermometer
5. He get raw people food with nighttime meal (chicken, leaf veg)
Thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the answers to my questions and the additional information. Gum color sounds as if it may be normal since it can vary between individuals.The fact that he's still energetic is a good thing.His appetite issues could be related to panting although it could be a separate issue and not terribly concerning. If he will readily eat what you were previously feeding him, he may just not like the current diet as much. 1. I understand about not being able to take his temperature but if you manage to find a thermometer, it might be good to double check. Normal is between 100 and 102.5. A mild fever could explain his panting but then we'd have to wonder why he has one. There are quite a few possible explanations which range from a viral/bacterial infection to tick diseases to auto-immune conditions, just to name a few examples. 2. Discomfort or pain is another possibility although the source isn't always easy to identify unless there are obvious signs such as a limp. But the fact that he's whining now and again makes me wonder if this perhaps could explain the panting he's doing. If he is not currently taking any steroids or nsaid medication and since he's not vomiting, you might consider giving over the counter Aspirin at a dose of 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice daily, given with food to avoid stomach upset.The advantage of this drug is that it also contains anti-fever properties as well as those for pain and inflammation. As strange as it sounds, I've seen dogs with anal gland issues behave in some odd ways although these patients are typically still eating. If you're not familiar with these glands, the following link discusses them in detail: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=625 3. Of course, fear/anxiety/phobias can also cause a dog to pant but these seem less likely if he's not acting anxious or fearful. 4. Of course, overheated dogs will pant but not for four days. If he doesn't appear to be in obvious distress...which it doesn't sound as if he is...then I might proceed as above. If he is running a fever, though, then a vet visit might be prudent. I hope this helps. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Deb, ill get some of his old food and see if he responds. He's happy to play and take treats and do training and go for walks.. He will get extra TLC over the next few days. Have aspirin on hand. He's at rest by my foot now but heavyish nose breathing?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
You're more than welcome.He certainly doesn't sound as if he's in any significant distress which is a good thing. And, if he's taking treats for training, then I'd have to suspect he's just not liking the new food too much. The heavier nasal expirations may be tied in to why he's panting more than normal but this might also be normal for him. Best of luck with him. Kind regards, Deb