Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My 11 year old boxer has started having seizures. Her

Customer Question

My 11 year old boxer bitch has started having seizures. Her heart has been checked and is okay. She has been prescribed Pixion. She has not had a seizure since medication started (2 days worth) but is very unstable on her feet, will suddenly shudder and loose balance and is disoriented. Is this normal for epilepsy? I
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear your Boxer is having seizures. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Did she just start having seizures at age 11? If so this is not epilepsy. There are many reasons for a dog to have seizures: low thyroid, low blood sugar, brain tumors or injury, low oxygen supply to the brain, liver disease, and epilepsy. Dogs with epilepsy are born with the condition, and usually have the first seizure when they are young, less than 3 years old. When an older dog has seizures, it is usually due to one of the other things I mentioned. Have blood tests been done to check for things like liver disease, thyroid disease, low blood sugar, etc.? Pexion may be the cause of the instability and loss of balance; there is an adjustment period when a dog is started on anti seizure medication. It is possible that these symptom are due to one of the other causes of seizures I mentioned above. I really hate to say this, but since Boxers are more prone to cancer than other breeds, and since she is 11 years old, a brain tumor may be the problem, and could cause this instability, shuddering, disorientation, and loss of balance. If it is from the Pexion, she should get better as she adjusts to being on it. If these symptoms get worse, I would consider a consult with a neurology specialist if you have not already done so. Please let me know how she is doing and what other questions I can answer.