Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have recently taken my dog (a 9 month old German shepherd)

I have recently taken my dog (a 9 month old German shepherd) to the vet and they took an x-ray and found some fluid. They have given some medicine to get rid of the fluid. She eats well and normally but is a little lazy. I was wondering if I could get a second opinion on the x-rays?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.
I would be pleased to review X-rays you could upload to our conversation. If you need help doing so, please contact***@******.***/ Which medications have been prescribed? What are the differential diagnoses that have been offered? Have diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests been performed? If so, can you upload a copy of the test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi,I have attached the x rays below. A blood and urine test were performed and all were normal. I haven't got the medication with me as she is still at the vets.Kind regards,Patrick
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
HiI have the name of the medication now. The vet has prescribed Lasix 40mg tablets and Cephalex 500 capsulesKind regards,Patrick
Oh my. Thank you, Patrick. The extensive amount of fluid has obscured all of the structures in the ventral thoracic cavity. I can't tell if her diaphragm is intact and I'm looking at a diaphragmatic hernia or the problem lies solely within the thoracic cavity. Her stomach doesn't appear to be in the proper position and her small intestine appears to abut her diaphragm which is suggestive of a hernia and displacement of organs into her thoracic cavity. I need to see a VD view in order to understand better what's going on. I see only two lateral views. There appears to be an air-filled structure under her spine (the stomach?) and her liver appears enlarged. Dispensing a diuretic and a systemic antibiotic won't suffice for Dina. An abdominal ultrasound is essential and will be more sensitive of an imaging modality than X-rays. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Unfortunately I don't have a VD, I was wondering what course of action do you recommend for our dog to recover?
You'll need to receive a firm diagnosis before you can know how to help Dina. If the fluid is free fluid (not associated with a hernia into her thoracic cavity) it should be aspirated and sent off to our pathologist to have its physical characteristics and cellularity examined. That testing can tell her vet in which direction to proceed. I would schedule an abdominal ultrasound at your earliest convenience. That imaging should be very rewarding.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your help.Kind regards,Patrick
You're welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.