Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

On Saturday I'm going to see 2 Cavalier King Charles

Hello, On Saturday I'm going to see 2 Cavalier King Charles puppies and is hoping to buy one. I received a phone call from the breeder saying one of the puppies has a hernia and the other has a heart murmur. I was wondering if I can get some advice from a vet on whether it is advisable to buy one of the puppies or if I should look somewhere else. I lost my Cavalier King Charles in 2014. He had a heart murmur, fluid on the brain, meningitis and bone disease, he was in a lot of pain and couldn't squat to do a toilet. I'm scared this is going to happen again and I don't know what to do. Your advice would be greatly appreciated on whether I should go ahead.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Do you know the type of hernia (umbilical?)? 2- Did the breeder say the grade of the heart murmur?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1- Umbilical. The breeder said the mother chewed the umbilical too close to the puppies bellybutton.
2- no she never said the grade. All she said was a small one
Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, as far as the umbilical hernia, this should not stop you from buying the puppy. Basically what is happening is the the abdominal wall is slightly opened allowing abdominal content to slip through the opening. Once it is surgically repaired it will not cause any longer term negative consequences, not a big deal. I usually recommend having hernia repaired at the same time of neutering or spayed. As far as the murmur, well this depends. By definition a heart murmur is the turbulence that is heard when the blood passes through the heart. We have a grading system one (I) through six (VI) so that we can evaluate the intensity; A grade 1 is least and 6 is the loudest. The causes for a murmur could be secondary to things like anemia (thin blood passes fast through the heart creating a murmur) or it can be an indication of problems within the heart. In puppies it is common to find what we call an "innocent or puppy murmur;" these type of murmur are grade 1-2 and often go away, do not pose any health risk. Now we can also hear murmur's in puppies with congenital heart abnormalities; these puppies have murmur generally 2 and louder. So, in regards ***** ***** puppy with the murmur I would recommend you have your veterinarian examine the puppy and listen to his/her heart. If possible do an echocardiogram to evaluate the heart and make sure there is not an underlying heart problem and this is just a simple puppy murmur. I would not buy this puppy without further evaluation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello, thank you very much with your reply. It has helped me a lot
Have a good day