Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog hasn't passed urine or done a poo, drank any water or

My dog hasn't passed urine or done a poo, drank any water or eaten since Tuesday evening. She's very quiet and spent most all day/night laying down. She has no interest in doing any of the above either. Am no quite worried.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, the answer is no to all the questions above.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Can she walk? 2- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale? 3- Can you take her rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes she can walk.2. Her gums are pink.3. I don't have a thermometer- sorry!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, urine and fecal output are directly related to water and food intake. She is not defecating or urinating because she is not eating or drinking. The big question is why is she not eating or drinking? Lethargy and anorexia are very non-specific symptoms and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect dogs. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, common possible causes are: A fever, infection, ingestion of a foreign body, kidney or liver disease, etc. to name a few causes. In this case, your dog will need a hands on examination, blood work (chemistry profile & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause by family veterinarian. Highly recommend having her checked first thing in the morning. Treatment will be based on clinical and diagnostic findings. In the meantime, I would give her water directly into her mouth with a dropper or turkey baster. In addition, force feed her a bland diet of rice with with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. If possible blend the food with some water and force feed her with a turkey baster. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.