Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have recently taken my German Shepherd to get an

Hi,I have recently taken my German Shepherd to get an x-ray and I was wondering if you would be able to take a look at the photos and give me some advice on what I should do next.Kind regardsPatrick
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am happy to review your x-rays with the paperclip on your screen, if you could also give me a bit of history that would be helpful as well. Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi,I am trying to download some files but I am having problems with my laptop. I was wondering if it is possible to forward the files to you by email?Kind regards,Patrick
I apologize if you are having issues. Here is a step by step on how to download:http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0Unfortunately I am not allowed to release my personal email address. If this doesn't work then we can put the photos on a page such as flickr for me to review or shadowbox. One of the public pages and then you give me the link
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have now been able to attach some photos. Our dog has also been prescribed Cephalex 500 capsules and Lasix 40mg tablets.Kind regards,Patrick
Please give me a moment to review, can you tell me what the history is of why these x-rays were taken and medications prescribed while I review? Thank you
Was there an x-ray on her back? Was any fluid tapped from her chest? Thank you
I definitely would be tapping this fluid for culture (bacterial, fungal), analysis and if they did an echo I assume they evaluated the heart as well as the lungs. If there is a fever than that should be addressed. Cephalexin is not a very strong antibiotic for respiratory use and the lasix is in hopes of removing the fluid from the chest so that she can breath with less effort. I hope they checked a pulse ox on her to see how well she is oxygenating as well so she does not go into respiratory distress...
I hope this information helps guide you and will wait for further information if I can assist you. You are definitely in my thoughts, I have two GSD's myself and cannot imagine how difficult this must be for you If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
These are all the x-rays I have got. They have taken a sample but I am not sure what it is yet.I was wondering if you could tell me if she has a broken thoracic diaphram?She has been eating properly but hasn't been as energetic as usual.Kind regards,Patrick
From what I can see this does not appear to be a diaphragmatic hernia. There is no evidence of intestines in the thorax but a specific fluid line and with the ultrasound they would have been able to see intestines more succinctly than the x-ray but this would not be a top differential for me. This appears to be free fluid and I would hope they took a second view on her back or sternal to give a two dimensional image of what is going on (this helps us hone in on whether the fluid is on one side, if there is a consolidated lung lobe) versus one view x-ray. Is this a specialty hospital? Is she comfortable now? Hopefully the fluid analysis will further guide treatment because it will say whether this is infection, blood, chylous (white), or cancer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She is starting to get a little bit better. I was wondering if we changed to a stronger antibiotic for her respiratory would it help her to lose the fluid and get better?Kind regards,Patrick
It is entirely possible. Typically we treat with a penicillin and/ or enrofloxacin for a respiratory tract infection of this severity. Perhaps they are waiting for culture results to do so?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was also wondering if you could recommend what type of food I should be feeding her and also if it is ok to feed her soup and milk?Kind regards,Patrick
I will always recommend a high quality organic diet with human grade ingredients and no by products by reading the label (not necessarily a certain brand which may vary in the UK)Dogs are actually quite lactose intolerant so I would not advise milkI do use carrots (raw, whole) and green beans as fillers with my dogs as they are healthy
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your helpKind regards,Patrick