Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have a cross bichon/shitzu puppy 17 weeks old.Random

Customer Question

I have a cross bichon/shitzu puppy 17 weeks old.
Random three times over last week appears to be retching as if to be sick, then she falls over ! I swept her mouth she coughed and a little bile came up, she seemed distressed for seconds then perfectly fine after that ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I am sorry to hear Molly is experiencing this. On the one hand, it is a good idea to have her seen by her veterinarian for the vomiting. With regard to the falling over, some dogs, especially puppies, may experience a profound vagal nerve response after a vomit which means that it may cause the puppy to feel faint. This is a natural reflex and she may actually outgrow it. What would concern me more is if she is experiencing the weak episodes when not associated with a vomit.The vomiting at this age is unfortunately a vague sign and could indicate any one of a long list of potential problems ranging from ingestion of unusual item that may be trapped in her digestive tract to intestinal parasites to food intolerance to congenital issue to organ problem and the list continues. IT is good, however, that it is a low frequency vomit. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for information. She did not actually vomit on either occasion, its only happened three times, she perfectly fit and well and just had her injections and vet check, I mentioned it at the last appointment and they did not seem concerned.
She has only fallen on her side briefly three times in 7 weeks, she retches but is not sick ?
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
It is possible to still stimulate a vagal response with a forceful cough or heaving (without vomitus production). If this is not a vagal nerve response, then our top two worries are this is a partial seizure-type event or heart-related (fainting). So, I am not sure we can say it is not something to worry about yet.However, I am not sure even if she was my patient I would rush to a lot of diagnostic testing yet. I would advise you continue to monitor, but if she does this again once or twice, then it would be worth a closer look to make sure she does not have a problem such as heart issue (arrhythmia or congenital heart abnormality) which would involve a blood pressure check and chest x-rays +/- an ECG.