Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Why does my 9 month old Yorkie always do his poo in the same

Customer Question

Why does my 9 month old Yorkie always do his poo in the same place on my carpet after he has been out to do his wee or been taken miles on a walk?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can I do to stop him and get him to do it outside?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear of your problems with housetraining your Yorkie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. He does this because all growing puppies develop a preference for urinating and defecating in particular areas, or on particular surfaces. Every time a puppy urinates outdoors or defecates outdoors, he unconsciously develops a preference for that spot, and eventually holds in his urine or feces until he gets to that spot. Fortunately, it sounds like he "imprinted" on grass outdoors for urination, unfortunately he imprinted on that carpet for his defecation. No matter what your reaction is, he thinks that is his feces toilet. That carpet has to be 100% off limits to him. Either he has to be blocked by doors or baby gates from the room where that carpet is, or he has to be crated or leashed whenever he is in the house. Dogs learn best when you are proactive, which means preventing him from using that carpet and rewarding him for going outside; they really do not change their behaviors when you are reactive ("rubbing their nose in it", spanking them, raised voice, etc.). This will be hard since he is 9 months old, but you have to make that carpet inaccessible to him. He will hold his defecation, waiting to get to his "bathroom" but sooner or later he will have to go and you have to be sure that is outdoors, by not allowing him free roam of the house. Turning him loose to defecate on carpet is setting him up to fail. If you walk and walk and he does not defecate, he has to be leashed or in a crate or baby gated in a small area with no carpet; no running free inside. Let me know what other questions I can answer.