nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

There My dog has a cough that started yesterday - but still

Hi there My dog has a cough that started yesterday - but still eating drinking and other bodily functions ok. He came back from doggy daycare with the cough.
He has had kennel cough vaccine.
This morning he has coughed up white stuff but also has had some hair and cotton in the sick so might be coughing due to something he ate - he eats everything - hes a cockerpoo.
I will see a vet but my question is if he did have a blockage of sorts then would he be able to run around and be playful and still want to eat and drink?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He does seem to be coughing much less and we took him for a short walk to see if he would eat grass but not interested and less coughing now 1x every hour maybe
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. Based on your history, we do have to be aware that this could be a mild case of kennel cough (milder since he had the vaccine) but could be related to throat irritation if he has eaten something abrasive or irritating. And just to note, if we had a blockage, he'd not be eating and keeping his food down. Therefore, since he is generally well in himself, we can plan to soothe his throat until he is seen. To do so, you can try a mild cough suppressant. Pet safe options we often use are Glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing and can be given at a dose of 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed.Alternatively, we can use Benylin Tickly Cough. Of course, if you use this, we only want to use this one and avoid similar syrups with pet toxic drugs (ie Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine, etc). Dose-wise, you can give 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce throat irritation andcoughing for our wee ones. As well you can also start a soft food diet over the weekend to again avoid further throat irritation. Overall, this doesn't sound like a blockage that needs urgent care. It sounds like we may have a mild throat irritation from something he ate or a low grade kennel cough. So, we can use the above and monitor over the weekend. If he settles, we are happy. If it lingers, then we'd want to plan to follow up with his vet once they are open. Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much very reassuring and I will definitely take to vet if he doesn't seem to progress well - my main concern was any blockage